Friday, March 13, 2015

Patrick Willis Retirement?

I just found out that Patrick Willis, arguably the best defensive player to ever be on the San Francisco, is strongly considering retirement. I really don't know what to say to this. Willis has been my favorite player since I really started enjoying watching the 49ers play. In my eyes, I believe that he is the best linebacker to ever play the game of football in the NFL. He is known for his attacking speed and ability to smash runners, while also drop back in coverage. With all of these attributes, he has earned a pro bowl in seven of his eight professional years, and six total all-pro appearances. These statistics are considered to be some of the best for any linebacker to ever play the game. What I am really confused about is why he is retiring at the age he is at. After just turning 30 years old, he still has many productive years of football in front of him. He has shown in past seasons that he is still at a high level of play, and capable of destroying anyone that tries to challenge him anywhere on the field. Where are these thoughts coming from?

I believe that the main reason that he is considering retirement is because of the recent research found about the human brain and damage tom football. Patrick Willis is smart enough to realize that if he decides to keep playing the game of football, his chances of severely injuring his brain rise. Plus, with the hits that he enforces, he is bound to hurt himself. But, at the same time, he still has the chance to earn a hall of fame spot if he keeps performing at the level that he has before. I realize that the 49ers still have the talented Chris Borland to start next year if he decides to retire, but Patrick Willis has been the player that gives the 49ers their image and has led the team to where they have gone in past years. 

Patrick Willis- best linebacker of all-time- Pic from www.willis52.com


I really hope that Willis doesn't decide to retire. He has been the core of the 49ers amazing linebacker core for many years, and still has a lot in him. I understand that San Francisco has Chris Borland behind Willis, but We need the leadership and player that everyone loves. You have been the face of the franchise and we can't afford you leaving. Personally, you have always been my favorite football player and gave me the idea to try and play the linebacker position in the game football. You were th inspiration to have me start playing this game and I can't think of not seeing you on the field on Sundays with the San Francisco 49ers. But, I know one thing. If you really do decide to retire, you will most definitely be put into the NFL hall of fame and be considered one of the best linebackers to ever play the game of football. Who's got it better than us, nobody!

No comments:

Post a Comment