Sunday, May 10, 2015

Then And Now

I believe that this year has gone by really fast. Because of all of my sports and school, I have been so busy, it hasn't even hit me that there is only three more weeks of school left. Being a freshman in high school is both a great thing, and a bad thing. I really enjoyed this year, even though I was considered the "fresh meat" of the high school. In terms of sports, my football years didn't really go as planned, but I learned a lot from it. This was the first year that a lot of my friends decided to play football, and because of that, it was really fun to travel with them and make memories in places nobody has ever heard of. I learned to deal with defeat by moving onto the next day with a positive attitude, knowing that I will succeed the next time I am out on the field. I also really learned that without friends, life is nothing. If it weren't for my guys picking me up after a tough loss, I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about what I did wrong, and just move on. Because I was a freshman, being on the football team was also a time where I could improve my ability to block out shit that people say to me. I learned really fast this year that being a freshman is the lowest of the low in terms of any high school sport. But, this made me realize that I should really try to make the incoming freshman feel welcomed.

Me during freshman year

I really believe that this school year has changed me as well. I used to think that getting straight A's was the only way I could make people proud of me. But I quickly realized that this isn't necessarily possible. I took some really hard classes this year, which unfortunately, stopped me form having that perfect 4.0. I learned that as long as you try your hardest, everyone will be proud of you. You need to stop thinking that perfect is actually perfect. To be honest, I am actually really happy that I didn't get a 4.0. I was able to release tons of stress that was just stuck inside of me. This blog was also a great way to release my stress. I learned to let my anger out in words, not with my fists.

Just Relax- Thanks to www.onwardstate,com for the pic

Most importantly, I learned to be a true teammate with my high school baseball team. With my high school team being very good, we had high expectations at the beginning of the season. We needed to practice our ass's off in order to get to where we wanted to be, and we did. We had practice every week day for over 6 months and right now are in the state playoffs. My coach, Lou Green, taught us how to play for each other and not care about our statistics, but only the outcome of the game. At the beginning of the season, I didn't know any upper class men on the team. Now, I am good friends with every person associated with the team. I would do anything to fight for a win with my team, and would die to win with my team. Overall, I am happy with the person I turned into, and I learned to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment